This was a short week and that didn’t seem to be a problem with my group at all. We all worked accordingly with the time we had and finished everything up. Our next step is to work on our analysis. Today we uploaded our data onto Palladio and organized the graphic to tailor to our research question. At first there was no organization whatsoever to the graphic Palladio produced so we had to make some changes so it was easier to read. We put the colleges on the North end, and the colleges on the South end to mimic the Red Cedar river with remaining connecting words floating in the middle (words that are used in more than one college’s mission statement). You can see the graphics below:
Originally, we had only planned to create the first graphic which uses all of the keywords, but after seeing how cluttered and unreadable it was we decided to run it through with only the top keywords (the words used the most), which happened to clean it up a lot. After creating our graphics in Palladio we decided to change the structure of our csv file and see what we could do with RAW again. RAW actually ended up working this time because of the way we organized our file and inputted the data. Before when we were working with RAW we were not organizing our data correctly so it wasn’t bringing up any of the connecting words. You can see the RAW graphic below:
Through these graphics you’re able to break down the topics of each college while matching it with the direction of the river in which it’s located. I think it’s important to use different tools to allow your audience to look at different things because some they might not understand as much as others and they all tie in together. It’s better to have more graphics to back up your research question. Each of our graphic conveys the same point, yet in different ways which is great for when we start our analysis next week. I think that creating all of our visuals before Thanksgiving break was very beneficial and helpful so that we’re able to spend next week analyzing them.
Before working on this project, I started questioning whether or not I really liked Digital Humanities and I couldn’t figure out what the big point was. Now, I can confidently say that I love DH. I enjoyed working with the many tools and I even liked running into problems and trying to figure out another solution. It’s amazing to see how many tools are available to use and what they’re capable of. In our project alone we used 4 (Voyant, RAW, Palladio and Google Fusion Tables). Digital Humanities allows you to study data in different ways which is what makes these projects so interesting. I also think collaboration is an important part in these projects because there are so many different aspects to it no matter what kind of question you have or what kind of data you have to work with.
The graphics and map we created allow us to visualize our research question perfectly. While there are some common words across some colleges that don’t exact follow a relevant key word for a specific college like “world”, it’s still interesting to see what some of their other words are accompanied with their location. I think we’ll start looking at the exact words we’re working with in our graphics and add that factor into our analysis. As of right now, we haven’t had a chance to look that closely.